Articles in this newsletter:
• Warehouse Sale Continues
• Speaking of the Free Room!
• Please! Don’t leave donations outside.
• A Red End to our Fiscal Year
• Subscribe to The Scrap Box News!
• Changing Faces
• On Sat., June 22, The Scrap Box held its first ever warehouse sale. Despite high temperatures, it was a fine success. We attracted new customers, regular customers brought friends, and everyone enjoyed the special bargains scrounged from the back corners of the warehouse.
• The board decided to make the sale an annual event. June 14, 2014 will be the second annual warehouse event.
• But you don’t have to wait a whole year to take advantage of the bargains. The leftovers are now available for purchase. They are in the old free room, so we’re eager to move them out because The Scrap Box has exciting plans for using that space. Whenever the store is open, you can access the room through the doors on the far side of the bulk room. Check it out; there are still
appealing fantastic items for sale at bargain prices.
return to top
Speaking of the Free Room!
• The Scrap Box was recently awarded a $1000 grant from the Eastern Michigan University’s Student Funders Group to transform our room into a drop-in workshop space. We were one of seven groups awarded the special grant.
• You probably have noticed that the free room has disappeared. Many of the items The Scrap Box collected in the past can now be put into your recycling bins, and we hope our customers will do that. The Scrap Box continues to encourage donations from the public, so please read our updated wish list describing things we need. You can print a copy from our website: http://scrapbox.org/wordpress1/donate/household-donations/
• As for the newly liberated area, we envision it for our new Scrap Box Drop-in Workshops. These new workshops will be in addition to our regular on-going school field trips and birthday parties which happen in two lovely rooms at the back of the building.
• Drop-in workshops will be offered to kids, to adults, and to a combination of age groups. The workshops will be offered at various times: after-school in late afternoons; Saturday mornings; and other convenient times. These special workshops will appeal Girl Scout leaders, art teachers, religious educators, scrapbook hobbyists, and craft enthusiasts. These new Scrap Box workshops will demonstrate how to use of some of our unusual materials (including the amazing transfer foil); seasonal and holiday crafts; and inspire you to be creative, up-cycle, recycle, and reuse a variety of supplies to make an artistic project you’ll be happy to display.
Please! Don’t leave donations outside.
• One recent holiday weekend when we were closed, someone dropped off a large cardboard box of donations at our front door. Unfortunately it rained that weekend and everything got soaked. Even a bag of pinecones got wet because the bag wasn’t closed tightly.
•We had to throw away the whole box in our dumpster! What was the good of it? So, please do not leave donations outside when we’re not open!
return to top
A Red End to our Fiscal Year
• Our fiscal year ends on August 31, and all indications point to ending in the red. We’d much better be in the black. If you see fit to help us out with our shortfall, it will be greatly appreciated. (We are three months behind in our rent.) Any amount will help.
Donations can be made
•by phoning The Scrap Box (734-994-0012)
with your credit card information
•or by sending a personal check to The Scrap Box,
581 State Circle, Ann Arbor, MI 48108.
Subscribe to The Scrap Box News!
• You can get the latest news about The Scrap Box by going to our website and clicking on Latest News.
If you would like to have the latest news, info about the latest donations, and fun recycled craft ideas delivered to your email each time the site updates, please visit our blog and click “subscribe.”
We do not share our customers’ email addresses,
and you can unsubscribe at any time.
If you use a newsreader, here is our link: https://a2scrapbox.wordpress.com/feed/
• You can also see news about The Scrap Box on our Facebook page. Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Scrap-Box/34533714610?ref=hl If you have a Facebook account, then type Scrapbox into the search box and scroll down until you find the latest news.
return to top
•This month marks several changes in our staffing. Rachel, our perky college student with the beautiful red hair will be leaving to return to Earlham College.
•Ralph, the friendly, helpful guy in the bulk room left to work at the Kiwanis Club. Taking his place is Cameron. Be sure to give him a hearty welcome.
return to top